Wednesday, January 20, 2010

36 Hours and Two Cartons of Lucky Strikes

I left Cincinnati around 7am on Monday and drove to Columbus to catch my flight.  At the Columbus airport they told me I wouldn't be allowed to go to Morocco because I didn't have a visa. I tried to explain to them that I would get a visa once I got to Morocco. The woman from the consulate said that was not possible.  After a few phone calls everything got cleared up and I was on my way.  Two hours to JFK.  Six hours and several beers later we boarded the plane for Casablanca.  I tried to sleep on the plane but to no avail.  It was loud and just out right uncomfortable. These two Malian fellows, one behind me, kept kicking the back of my seat, and the other one, right beside me, wouldn't shut up. (Note to self: First class on all future international flights.)

Landed in Casablanca around 6:30, got through customs and boarded the 8:00 train for Casa Voyageurs.  Casablanca had a pungent smell of urine and I was shocked at how dilapidated and run down the city was. Not sure what Rick and Sam saw in the city.  Changed trains and headed for Meknes.  The farther inland we got the nicer the country seemed to be. I noticed several people pissing on the side of the train tracks and one fellow even took a squat.  

From Meknes we hailed a cab and finally got to Ifrane.  The cabbie had a cassette tape, the songs were as follows...................

Pink Floyd....Another Brick In The Wall
George Michaels& Elton John.....Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me.
David Bowie....Starman
Otis Redding...Come To Me
Shania Twain....Any Man Of Mine
Chris Issack......Wicked Games
The Scorpions......Winds Of Change

After a dinner of harira and tagine, the purchase of some bottled water, and a viewing of Back To The Future II, it was time to sleep.

5 comments:

  1. Did you actually hear all the songs on the tape or did you ask for them???

    So.... people just piss on the side of the street???

    How are you enjoying it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I heard all those songs. The Shania Twain was a real shock.
    Yes, people just piss on the side of the street.
    I like it so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the cabbies song set, I hope the opening of Floyd brought a smile;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Overseas, people aren't real peeshy, I've noticed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rick and Sam liked the waters...

    ReplyDelete